We take your privacy seriously
Waverley Council (the Council) makes some use of website data that directly or indirectly identifies users. We take great care with practices that affect personal privacy.
The staff who maintain and operate the Council website are subject to the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and Council’s privacy management plans, available for download below.
Data collected by the Council
Data that in some way identifies the user is gathered during interactions with Council websites in the following circumstances:
- Computer information. It is a necessary part of visiting any website that your web browser provides your machine’s identity (IPaddress) to the web server so it can address the reply to the correct machine. In addition, the browser type and operating system are provided.
- Navigation and clickstream data. Browsing any website generates a trail of the pages you visit and the time apparently spent displaying each page.
- User feedback. We seek feedback from our website users to improve the services provided on the site. Providing feedback is voluntary and does not in any way affect your access to the Council website.
- Polls and surveys. No personal information is collected or retained when you vote online in a Council poll. Only the actual vote is recorded.
- Subscription details and service requests. Personal information you provide when you register for email newsletters or request services online will only be used for the purpose indicated for that particular service.
We manage some aspects of your connection to this website using a facility called a cookie, which identifies and recognises the computer but not the person using the computer, when you visit some parts of our websites.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used.
Data storage, use, disclosure and retention
All data described in the preceding paragraphs may be stored and archived for a period that is yet to be determined but is likely to be at least 1 year and quite probably 7 years. Unless stated otherwise, the data is used by the Council and staff involved with maintaining and operating the Council website for:
- website and system administration, including monitoring to prevent security breaches
- customising the website to meet user needs
- evaluation, research and development.
Identified data can only be disclosed to the user if the user provides the unique request session number. Personally identified data may be disclosed to a third party only in circumstances where such disclosure is legally authorised, such as in the investigation of a criminal offence in compliance with a search warrant or subpoena.
Users 16 years and under
If you are aged 16 or under, you need your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide personal information to the Council through our website. Users without parental or guardian consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
If you believe that we have not followed the principles of this privacy statement or would like to comment, please contact:
Waverley Council (02) 9083 8000 firstname.lastname@example.org